Our mission is to use Martial Arts to bring glory to God, to honor Christ, and to build up and expand the Kingdom of God through evangelism and discipleship. We simultaneously develop Christ-like character and martial arts skills through intentional discipleship, age/level appropriate instruction, and diligent training.
“Whatever you do, do it with all your heart, as unto the Lord and not unto man.” Colossians 3:23
“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with every man."
- Romans 12:18
The karate program was started at Colonial Hills in 1998 by Hanshi Sensei Danny Perry (8th Dan ABKA). Danny Perry was the director of the program until 2009 when he opened a another dojo in Tyler. Dennis Hurley has been a senior instructor with the program since 2000 and now currently serves as the director of the karate program. Dennis serves as the chief instructor for the American Bushido-Kai Karate association and is a 8th degree black belt in the ABKA.
The program was created to teach a quality level of martial art in East Texas in a safe environment with a strong Christian focus. The program is focused on teaching children and adults the martial arts thru a Christian mindset and focus. The Colonial Hills Karate Program is aimed at using the martial arts to spread the Gospel of Christ thru the karate ministry and to use the martial arts to glorify God. The program currently has trained 25 students to Black Belt.
Besides teaching the art of self-defense in a Christian environment, the program helps to build self-esteem and confidence, as well as develop and improve self-discipline, strength, coordination and overall physical fitness. We have seen great improvement in these areas in our students that have stuck with the program through black belt. For some it has changed their attitude or behavior, for others it has given them great self-discipline or encouragement, and others have experienced a great transformation in physical fitness. Our karate program helps build you up in many different ways.
Over the last 20 years the program has expanded beyond the wall of this church to involve other churches and locations. We have grown from the initial six students to nearly 300. Members of the karate team have presented the Bully Awareness Program to local elementary schools. Over 3,000 students have seen this presentation.
The program has also been involved with Reaching America’s Youth (RAY) ministry, which reaches out to confined youth, by going in to the correctional facilities and witnessing to them. Trips have included the Youth Correctional Facility in Brownwood, Texas and a facility in College Station.
The Colonial Hills Karate Program also has a great and dynamic demonstration team that enjoys presenting the gospel in a refreshing new manner…with a karate spin of course. If you are looking for a new way to present the gospel message to your church, youth group, or organization, ask us about this unique opportunity!
Colonial Hills Karate has also been involved in helping to send over 25 karate students on mission trips to 11 different countries. Missions work is an active and encouraged portion of our karate program.
Schedule & Fees
Colonial Hills Baptist Church – Gymnasium (Family Life Center)
6:00 – 7:00 p.m. – Little Dragons; Power Kids; and Adult Beginners
7:00 – 8:30 p.m. – Yellow belts and above
- All instructors are volunteers in the CHBC Karate Program, all dues go to help pay for equipment, supplies, and costs of the karate program.
- All excess dues are used in helping to support ABKA missions or sending CHBC karate students on mission trips.
- Tuition is due on the First Tuesday of Each Month.
- Make payments from this website or make checks payable to Colonial Hills Baptist Church or CHBC.
- Includes 1 month of tuition for student(s), a karate uniform (Gi), and your yellow belt testing fee
- $75 for one student
- $145 for two students (in the same family)
- $205 for three students (in the same family)
- $50 for each additional student (in the same family)
- $30 for one student
- $55 for two students (in the same family)
- $70 for three students (in the same family)
- $15 for each additional student (in the same family)
- $75 for one student
- $150 for two students (in the same family)
- $190 for three students (in the same family)
- $35 for each additional student (in the same family)
- Monthly Fees included ABKA dues
- ABKA membership allows student to train at any ABKA school at no additional cost
- ALL students must pay the $10 ABKA dues
$25.00 each, orange belt and above, includes $5 ABKA testing fee, belt, certificate, and all testing supplies
- $150 New Student Spring and Fall Semesters
- $100 Returning Student Spring and Fall Semesters
- $70 Returning Student Summer Semester (includes tournament registration fees)
- $5 Testing Fee
If you would like to know more, or sign up, complete the form below!